Defence Force Medical Services
Defence force medical services is the overall advisor in health matters to the ministry of defence and the services (army, air force and zns).
- To provide quality health care in order to maintain a healthy defence force and zambia national service; and
- To effectively manage and develop human resources in order to enhance organisational performance.
Maina Soko Military Hospital
Maina soko military hospital draws its manpower from the three (03) services namely zambia army, zambia air force and zambia national service and a few civilian staff from the ministry of defence.
The function of the hospital is to provide quality health care services to military personnel in order to maintain a health defence force. It also caters for immediate family members both in war and peace time.
Northern command military hospital
Northern command military hospital (ncmh) is charged with the responsibility of providing health care to the military personnel of the three services and civilians in the catchment area.
The functions include:-
- Provision of quality, accurate efficient health care services to all military personnel, their families living in the northern region of zambia, general public, vips and other government dignitaries as advised by the ministry of defence; and
Participate in national, provincial health programmes including management and mitigation of epidemic diseases, and natural disasters programmes.
Defence school of health sciences
The defence school of health sciences (dshs) is responsible for providing training to military personnel that have relevant entry qualification and upgrade those with basic professional training, so as to improve and maintain professional competence.
- Train health care personnel through pre- course and in service training in accordance with the laid down requirements by regulatory body authorities in order to maintain a professionally competent work force in the provision of quality health care to personnel and civilians living in the catchment areas.
- Conduct research, disseminate and utilizes findings in order to contribute to policy formulation and provision of quality, evidence- based healthcare in accordance with guidelines set by the health regulatory bodies.